Banner County NE – Southwest Nebraska Real EstateWhen it was being established in the late 19th century, residents were set on making Banner County “the brightest star in the constellation of Nebraska counties” – hence the name. This rural region of over 700 people has attracted a wide variety of visitors and immigrants over the years and is known today for its fertile farmlands and small-town warmth. Its county seat, Harrisburg, serves as the principal community of Banner County and residents usually head to the nearby cities of Kimball and Scottsbluff for more shopping, dining and entertainment options.
Banner County Agricultural Land for Sale, Land for Sale in Nebraska and Nebraska Ranches for SaleThe area is mostly dedicated to farming and ranching, producing beef and winter wheat. Since 1919, oil has been the tertiary component in sustaining the county’s economy.
Banner County NE Real Estate and Homes for SaleMany of the current residents in Banner Country are proud of their Nebraskan heritage. Most of the people here today are direct descendants of the first settlers in the county and many farms have been in the same family for generations. Banner County Facts
- The Banner County Seal is basically an image of a banner. On this banner is a line representing Pumpkin Creek, a historically significant stream of water that bisects the area from west to east. Finally, a single pumpkin is seen on the center of the banner.
- Banner County School serves the community and is a K-12 school with an enrollment of around 150.
- After a special election, Harrisburg was chosen as the county seat for Banner against three other communities: Ashford, Freeport and Banner. Ashford, located near Pumpkin Creek, is now a ghost town that ceased to exist around a century ago.
- Known for the bighorn sheep that used to be abundant in the area, Bighorn Mountain is located in the Wildcat Hills, near Harrisburg.
- Listed in the National Register of Historic Places is the C. C. Hampton Homestead. Also known as the Warner Ranch, water conservation during 1887-1902 was pioneered here and it greatly contributed to the development of agriculture in the county.